Saturday, September 12, 2015

Holy Monastery of Kolymbari- Great place for the kiddos


Saturday
The day began with me using Greek to unknowingly insult someone. I tried to ask one of the workers at the house if he smelled a skunk. I pinched my nose and said, " paliánthro̱pos?", which according to google translate meant skunk. I felt pretty awesome using my newfound Greek word. When he didn't understand me I skipped back in the house to ask Paul and his friend if I said the word correctly and it appears, dear Google translate, you have failed me. I actuality, I had pinched my nose and in Greek told the worker he was a dirty, lazy old man. Thankfully, he didn't understand my Greek anyway.








MONASTERY IN KOLIMBARI


Cannonballs!
Later in the day we went to the monastery in Kolymbari.The kids love going here, especially to see the cannon balls from the Cretan Revolt ( 1866-1869) against the Ottoman Empire, evidenced by the remaining cannonballs lodged in the monastery walls. 
This cannonball went through the glass and was lodged in the wall. 






 There is also a working  fountain in front of the monastery's entrance was built in 1708 and the belfry in 1849.




You can find a cat pretty much anywhere in Crete








buckles

Circa 1600's painting on wood
Awe struck by the art from the 16oo's and the architecture dating back to the 1600's which is not under lock and key that I could see. This art was a painting on wood circa 1600's! There are a lot more in the museum.

Bell Tower and Church entry
 For 500 years the Turks would not let the Greeks ring the church bells. Instead, they had to hit this wooden stock  with those mallets you see hanging in order to call people to worship.   

Church- look at all the icons in the background!
The church is opulent yet simple at the same time. This is one of three parts of the church. There are two more smaller ones on each side. The chairs on each side do not look comfortable but Paul sat in one and said they were.  They were obviously hand carved.












There are great tide pools right under the monastery which are perfect for snorkeling with the kids.

Tomorrow is Vasillis' wedding in Katsoumatado so I promise pics of the relatives and village tomorrow night . 



1 comment:

  1. That is so funny. I laughed at that.
    Have a great day. If you can, send pictures of the house when it is finished

    ReplyDelete